Welcome to my little piece of HTML heaven!

Welcome! I am a 30-something mom with boisterous, loving twin girls who were born in 2006.

I started this blog in September 2010 when I made the decision to DEFINITELY pursue bariatric surgery (Roux-en-Y gastric bypass) so I could chronicle my journey and my feelings, thoughts and experiences as a patient, mom, daughter, friend, writer, student, etc.

I had my surgery on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 at 7:30am. Although I don't remember much of that day after 7:25am, it changed my life forever. It feels like someone hit a "reset" button in my brain when I was under general anesthesia (and I don't remember my surgeon discussing THAT in my pre-op visit!!). As of 38 months post-op, I have lost 100 pounds and my total loss since my highest recorded weight is nearly 160 pounds.

In mid-2012, my health started to decline as Psoriatic Arthritis started to kick up a few notches and make my life miserable. I am learning to cope with a debilitating auto-immune disease and the life adjustments that go with it. It's not easy, but we're getting there.

Thank you for stopping by, feel free to leave a comment or just say HI! I'm glad you've decided to join me in my journey!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Mom in the City

Month one: We have been in our new place for a month now and things are slowly coming together. I have paid my own rent twice....and on my own. I moved myself out of the shelter and (mostly) out of our storage unit...in one weekend. Material things that were taken from me or left behind have since been replaced. Since we're smack dab in the middle of the city now, the van has been scrapped and we are using mass transit 100% of the time (or walking). It was good enough for all of us in Praha, it is just as good for us here in Denver. No shame at all in using mass transit. The school district provides transit passes for the girls and I also have the College Pass through Metro State. Using public transit takes my paranoid ass off the road (I hate driving in bad weather), reduces our carbon footprint, gives me more time with the girls and also forces me to think ahead and plan more. I don't buy more than I need and we get more exercise. If we want to eat out, we have to walk somewhere to get it. Grocery shopping? Not much of a problem. We have a Whole Foods about 5 blocks away and a King Soopers about 8 blocks away. And a rolling 90-can capacity cooler, thanks to my awesome girlfriend. What about my massive trips to Costco? Already been done once since moving here. Took a cab home...and gave the driver a bit of an extra tip for helping me unload the truck :) Sure, the commute is longer than I'd like in order to get the kids to and from school (yes, they're still at the charter school in the 'burbs), but the quality of the education they're getting there is damn near perfect for our family, so in my opinion, I am investing in my children's education and future by taking an extra hour or three out of my day to take them out to Denver West to attend the school. And yes, they are returning next school year. We have spent the month getting to know a couple of our new neighbors, exploring our new neighborhood and settling in. Saturdays are the Family Library Days and we "rent" movies from the library to watch at home instead of renting from RedBox or buying them (or illegally downloading them like The Ex does). Although we don't have a whole lot of furniture yet, we are settling into our new place nicely. I am on my air mattress but the girls do have their brand new foam mattresses and the brand new bunk beds are due to be delivered tomorrow. Gotta love Walmart's free Site to Home shipping :) I may not be able to buy everything all at once, but it is OURS and cannot be taken away or used as a control tactic by a passive aggressive and/or abusive partner. And my kitchen is just that....a kitchen. Not an overflow room for someone's hoarding or covered in loose computer parts that always end up getting in the way. I do laundry DAILY (it also helps that the laundry room for our floor is right across the hall from our front door)....and I cook from scratch at least 5 out of 7 days of the week. The girls have hot lunches sent with them every day. Since ditching The Ex and the money-pit of a minivan, I have lost another 15 pounds and each of the girls has lost about 5 pounds (no, I do not have them on a diet of any kind...). We are all sleeping better and have less stress in general. And look at this VIEW: The three of us are absolutely loving living in the city -- and we do NOT miss Wheat Ridge, Arvada or Commerce City at all. I do not miss having a vehicle and I am finally loving life!

1 comment:

  1. You sound wonderful and more importantly ...at peace. :)

    ReplyDelete